Monday, December 9, 2013

Time Passes in the Blink of an Eye!

     Learning about the Navajo culture has opened my eyes in many ways. I have definitely become a lot more culturally aware of not only the Navajo culture, but my own as well. It's easy to not to think about what makes up my own culture because I just live in it on a day to day basis. I have become so accustomed to my life at home, I never really thought about what aspects actually make up my culture. I have gained a lot of respect for the Navajo people here. Going into the semester, I was not knowledgeable of Native American culture in the slightest. All I knew was what I was taught throughout school, so pretty much TeePees and the Trail of Tears. After learning about the Navajo history and life today, my ignorance has bloomed into admiration. There has been several occurrences throughout this semester which has enhanced my appreciation for the Navajo. Just this past week we went to a Navajo lady named GeorgeAnne. GeorgeAnne is an elderly Navajo woman who weaves blankets. I have seen over one hundred different Navajo blankets and the great detail in the blankets, but I had only seen the end result of the blanket. I never knew how much work, concentration, and patience it takes for the weavers. GeorgeAnne showed us how she makes the string from the wool, what she uses to dye the wool, and how to weave. The designs of these unique blankets are all in the head of the weaver. It just astounds me how precise some of the Navajo are.
     Just like every culture, there are people struggling in the Navajo community. Seeing some of the living situations here in Gallup, NM has opened my eyes. While tutoring at Church Rock Elementary School, I have learned about some of the kids living situations. It makes me wonder why God gave me the life he did. Why am I so blessed with a loving family that is financially stable while some kids are growing up in trailer neighborhoods where shootings occur weekly and alcoholism is a severe problem? It has made me realize that I need to give back to a higher extent.
   
     This weekend is our last weekend in New Mexico. We only have three more days until we make our departure for home in our separate ways. I am going to be headed to Florida for a short trip with my Dad. Megan will be off in Santa Barbra, CA only a few hours from Charis who will be in Ontario, CA. Dani and Joyce will be headed home in the van (aka "Kool Express) to Springfield, IL and Grand Rapids, MI.
     I started packing some of my clothes in one of my suitcases and it's definitely a bitter sweet experience. While I am excited to return home, I vividly remember rolling all my clothes as tightly as possible in order to cram as much as possible into two suitcases three months ago. Saying goodbye to these girls is going to be so strange. I've lived with them for three months and seen them everyday. I wouldn't be surprised if we had separation anxiety ;). haha. But seriously, I am so thankful that we have bonded over these past few months. We have shared an unforgettable experience that we can reminisce about for the rest of our lives. This has been a once in a lifetime opportunity and I thank God for giving me the opportunity to come on this semester program.


 Our last day at Calvin. Our first day of the semester spent travelling to New Mexico...and our first group picture.
Our first hike in New Mexico with the DeYoungs. I am definitely going to miss looking outside and seeing mesas/hogbacks surrounding the land. The views here are something I could never get tired of looking at...even when the mesas are covered in snow and its 20 degrees outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment